JonBenét Ramsey Investigators 'Optimistic' Cold Case Will Finally Be Solved as 'Unidentified Male' DNA Recovered From Garrote Used to Strangle Child Beauty Queen

The JonBenét Ramsey case may soon have a conclusion.
Aug. 21 2026, Published 5:30 p.m. ET
JonBenét Ramsey investigators believe they are closer than ever to catching the person behind her gruesome death, RadarOnline.com can reveal, and now only need to take the next major steps.
The 6-year-old was found dead in her parents John and Patsy's Boulder, Colorado, basement one day after Christmas in 1996, as the identity of the killer has remained a mystery – but that could all change.
'Unidentified Male' DNA Recovered

'Unidentified male' DNA has been recovered in the child beauty queen's cold case.
According to the child beauty queen's father, the DNA of an "unidentified male" was "recently" recovered from the garrote used to torture and strangle JonBenét.
"During my last meeting with the [Boulder Police] chief and DA, I strongly urged them to seek help from one of the cutting-edge private labs to employ forensic genetic genealogy (FGG)," John explained. "This new tool is like a nuclear weapon in solving crimes where the perpetrator's DNA has been recovered. To not employ FGG is like fighting the battle with bows and arrows."
The grieving father revealed Boulder police have told him they are "more optimistic than ever that they can solve the murder of JonBenét." However, John made clear that it will only happen "if the police would only use [the DNA]."
David Mittelman, the founder and CEO of Othram, which specializes in genetic genealogy, explained that while the DNA has possibly been depleted, new technology can still pinpoint her mysterious killer.
Private Investigator Believes an 'Arrest is Imminent'

John Ramsey, here with wife Patsy, wants police to send the DNA to a forensic genetic genealogy lab.
"... I do think there is a tremendous opportunity, because DNA technology is so different than it was a few years ago,” he noted. "If there is DNA remaining, you don’t need as much as you used to to do some of the great work."
Mittelman, who founded the company in 2018 with his wife Kristen, previously told Radar, "If suitable evidence remains in the JonBenét Ramsey case, I would strongly encourage investigators to pursue this approach."
However, renowned private investigator Jason Jensen claimed that a major update on the case should occur soon, as he thinks "the murder has already been solved – and an arrest is imminent."
John, 82, has been open about his eagerness to have the DNA sent to a forensic genetic genealogy lab, even offering to fundraise to cover the cost.
Yvonne 'Missy' Woods' DNA Bombshell Ramps Up Investigation

Yvonne 'Missy' Woods was part of the JonBenét Ramsey murder probe before she pled guilty to mishandling evidence.
"We've got to use this technique. I firmly believe that it'll solve the case," John said. At one point in the investigation, both he and his wife, Patsy, were considered suspects. Patsy died of ovarian cancer in 2006, never learning who was responsible for her daughter's death.
"(Patsy) was kind of assaulted as this evil mother, and she can't defend herself," John previously told Radar. "She was a wonderful person... She was a wonderful mother – absolutely wonderful mother – both to her children and my children, who were her stepchildren."
The murdered child's case received a major bump after Yvonne 'Missy' Woods, who spent nearly 30 years analyzing DNA evidence for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, pleaded guilty to mishandling key evidence. Woods was a member of the CBI forensic team during the 1996 murder probe of JonBenét.
There is no evidence that Woods, who faces up to 16 years behind bars when she is sentenced in September, tampered with the child beauty queen's DNA.
Netflix Cashes In on Child Beauty Queen's Death


The 6-year-old was found dead in her parents' basement in Colorado in 1996.
The case is also expected to get even more eyes on it as Netflix has begun production on its take on the tragedy, titled The Murder of JonBenét Ramsey.
The cast includes Clive Owen as John, while Melissa McCarthy will portray JonBenét's mother. According to the streamer, the eight-episode limited series "will explore how the murder of the 6-year-old captivated – and divided – the nation.
"Told from multiple angles, the series unravels the speculation and unresolved grief," the streamer added.



