Guilty! Teen Text Killer Michelle Carter’s Appeal Denied By Supreme Court

Michelle Carter Teen Text Killer Appeal Court Decision
Source: John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe/Getty Images; Facebook

Feb. 6 2019, Updated 1:59 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

Teen text killer Michelle Carter's involuntary manslaughter conviction appeal was denied almost two years after she was found guilty in the suicide death of her boyfriend, has learned.

The Massachusetts State Supreme Court issued their ruling on February 6.

According to documents obtained by, the court judges said: "The evidence against the defendant proved that, by her wanton or reckless conduct, she caused the victim's death by suicide. Her conviction of involuntary manslaughter as a youthful offender is not legally or constitutionally infirm. The judgment is therefore affirmed."

Article continues below advertisement

The appeal documents detailed why the judges upheld her guilty conviction in Roy's 2014 death.

"We conclude that the evidence was sufficient to support the judge's finding of proof beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed involuntary manslaughter as a youthful offender, and that the other legal issues presented by the defendant, including her First Amendment claim, lack merit. We therefore affirm."

Carter was found guilty in August 2017 of involuntary manslaughter in the death of her boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, who committed suicide in July 2014. The judge stated she was "wanton and reckless" when she encouraged him to kill himself in thousands of text messages that were presented in court.

"An ordinary person under the circumstances would have realized the gravity of the danger posed by telling the victim, who was mentally fragile, predisposed to suicidal inclinations, and in the process of killing himself, to get back in a truck filling with carbon monoxide," the judges argued.

Article continues below advertisement

Carter, who was only 17 at the time of Roy's death, was sentenced to two and a half years in the Bristol County House of correction, with 15 months to be served and the balance to be spent on probation.

The judge suspended her sentence until the Supreme Court made their decision on the appeal.

During her trial, prosecutors presented the 20,000 text messages exchanged between Carter and Roy in the days, hours and minutes leading up to his suicide in a K-Mart parking lot in July 2014.

Conrad Roy

"Here, the defendant's statement was more than adequately corroborated not only by the victim's death but also by text messages exchanged with the victim encouraging him to commit suicide, and by the fact that the defendant and the victim were in voice contact while the suicide was in progress — that is, despite the physical distance between them, the defendant was able to communicate with the victim, hear what was going on in the truck, and give him instructions," the appeal decision obtained by stated.

Article continues below advertisement

"You're so hesistant (sic) because you keep overthinking it and pushing it off. You just need to do it Conrad. The more you push it off, the more it will eat at you ," Carter texted to Roy on July 12, 2014 as he doubted his decision to kill himself.

The same day she sent him another text that said: "You're ready and prepared. All you have to do is turn the generator on and you be free and happy. No more pushing it off, no more waiting."

Roy's mother filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Carter in 2017, and the case remains ongoing.

We pay for juicy info! Do you have a story for Email us at, or call us at (866) ON-RADAR (667-2327) any time, day or night.



Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2023 Radar Media Group LLC. RADAR and RADARONLINE are registered trademarks. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.