A man who worked alongside the late Michael Jackson in a 1987 Pepsi commercial has added his name to a lawsuit filed against the late singer’s estate, claiming he was groomed, and later, sexually molested, by the late King of Pop, beginning at the age of 10 and continuing for four to five years.
James Safechuck, who perviously denied the “Beat It” singer touched him, when his name came up in Jackson’s criminal trial on pedophilia charges nine years ago, filed a complaint in Los Angeles Friday, affixing his name to the suit filed by Australian choreographer Wade Robson a year ago.
Safechuck, now a married 36-year-old father-of-two, came to understand his one-time idol was a “child molester and pedophile” after seeing Robson’s suit last year, the insider said, adding that the now-adult underwent therapy in coming to the realization.
“Once you start having children and you see what it’s all about,” the insider said, “your perspective on life changes.”
Safechuck, who first made Jackson’s acquaintance while shooting a Pepsi commercial promoting the Bad tour, and was soon one of the young males seen accompanying the “Thriller” singer on his worldwide adventures.
During the 2005 criminal proceedings, in which Jackson was found not guilty, one manager of the “Heal The World” singer’s Neverland estate testified he’d seen Jackson and Safechuck in a jacuzzi, at which time the “Will You Be There” singer had his hands “down the front of Jimmy’s underpants and was manipulating the boy’s genitalia.”
A maid said in the same proceedings that she’d seen Safechuck and the “Billie Jean” singer in bed together, with nothing on from the waist up.
In another twist, La Toya Jackson’s since-recanted condemnation of her late brother in Dec. 1993 included talk of a cancelled $1 million check Jackson made out to a boy’s father who worked as "a garbage collector" — dovetailing with the fact that Safechuck’s father has worked in waste management for more than 21 years.
Ron Zonen, the prosecutor in Jackson’s 2005 trial in Santa Barbara, said he believes the men that have stepped forward to accuse the “Money” singer posthumously makes for the tip of the iceberg in the potential pool of victims.
Watch the video on RadarOnline.com
“I don’t think we’re done yet,” Zonen said. “All these people, these suspected victims, are now in their early 30s, all young adults and they are coming to grips with what happened to them.”
The fifth anniversary of Jackson’s death is fast-approaching, as the singer died June 25, 2009 in Los Angeles.
Howard Weitzman, the attorney for the estate of Michael Jackson, tells Radar, "Twenty five years after the fact and five years after Michael Jackson passed away Mr. Safechuck -- who has many times over the years denied Michael Jackson did anything inappropriate to him -- is now demanding money from Michael’s Estate by claiming he suddenly recalls life differently. His new story is that Wade Robson's nearly identical lawsuit filed a year ago by the same attorney caused him to now recall certain events. Of course, Michael is not here to defend himself. Nonetheless, we believe these false and scurrilous allegations will not prevail."
Stay with Radar for more on this story.