Your tip

'Cyanide' Canister Found In Car Of Arsonist Trader Who Popped Pill And Died In Court

//michael marin cyanide suicide court

Jul. 11 2012, Published 9:00 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to FlipboardShare to Email
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

By Staff

New details are emerging that appear to back up the theory that a former wall street trader committed suicide by taking a cyanide pill in court on June 28, shortly after being convicted of arson.

As previously reported, Michael Marin was caught on video popping a mystery pill into his mouth seconds after the verdict was read, which caused his body to be wracked with fatal convulsions. By the time he was wheeled out on a stretcher by the Phoenix Fire Department, he had already lost consciousness and turned grey.

Article continues below advertisement

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced Tuesday that investigators found a can labeled 'cyanide' in Marin's vehicle following his death. Toxicology results from the canister are still pending.

Arpaio also revealed that Marin's family received a delayed email from the disgraced financier on the night of his death, which included details of his will.

Marin's unexpected death was a shocking conclusion to a bizarre case that had played out like an Alfred Hitchcock script since 2009, when he allegedly burned down his massive mansion to escape crippling mortgage payments.

The 53-year-old former high roller apparently couldn't face the prospect of 16 years in prison and instead chose to take his own life in a premeditated move.

Marin's high profile demise mirrored his extravagant life, which included graduating from Yale University, scaling Mount Everest, flying small planes and even penning books. After amassing a huge personal fortune, business problems led him to lose it all, and in the year before the fire his bank account shrank from $900,000 to just $50, which in no way could cover the $17,250 monthly mortgage bills or the balloon payment of $2.3 million.

Article continues below advertisement

According to Deputy Maricopa County Attorney Chris Rapp, he also paid $2,500 per month for the mortgage on a second home in nearby Gilbert, where he actually lived, and had an overdue tax bill of $34,000.

Marin had tried to set up a raffle to pay off the sky-high debt, and when that was deemed illegal the mansion suddenly and suspiciously burned to the ground.

Man Appears to Commit Suicide in Court After Guilty Verdict



More From Radar Online

    Opt-out of personalized ads

    © Copyright 2024 RADAR ONLINE™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. RADAR ONLINE is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.