Bruce Beresford-Redman, the Emmy-nominated Survivor producer accused of killing his estranged wife Monica at a Cancun resort in April 2010, will not appeal a federal court's decision to extradite him from Los Angeles to Mexico, his attorneys Richard Hirsch and Vicki Podberesky said Tuesday, adding their client hopes to clear his name in his aggravated homicide trial.
"We are disappointed in the court's decision denying our request to prevent the extradition of our client, Bruce Beresford-Redman," the attorneys said in a statement Tuesday. "After consultation with him, Bruce has decided not to appeal the decision and to return to Mexico and defend himself on the charges.
"He is innocent and it is his hope that the court in Mexico will assure that he receives a fair trial in which, he is confident, he will be exonerated."
Last week, U.S. District Judge Philip S. Gutierrez said in a two-page ruling that "Mexican authorities provided "pages upon pages of competent evidence demonstrating that Beresford-Redman committed the offense for which extradition was sought, namely the aggravated homicide of the victim."
Gutierrez cited "the infidelity, fighting, screaming from the hotel room, the fugitive's opportunity to dispose of the victim's body" as credible pieces of evidence to merit Beresford-Redman's extradition.
As RadarOnline.com previously reported, Bruce, Monica and their young children had been staying at the Moon Palace resort in Cancun, when Monica, 41, was reported missing after not returning from a shopping trip. Her body was found in a sewer at the resort April 8, and authorities said there were signs of asphyxiation and major damage to her right temple.
Beresford-Redman faces up to 30 years in a Mexican prison if he's convicted in the death.