President Obama addressed the nation regarding Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 and said that evidence is showing that the plane was most likely shot down by Russian-backed separatists. He also confirmed that at least one passenger was American.
He noted that this wasn’t the first plane to be shot down by the separatists, adding that a “steady flow of support from Russia” had been providing heavy weapons and anti-aircraft weapons.
The president also called for a cease-fire while a full investigation takes place.
An unnamed U.S. defense official spoke to USA Today about the precarious situation, stating that the group responsible downed the plane using a sophisticated missile from inside Ukraine.
“This was a global tragedy,” Obama said. “An Asian airliner was destroyed in European skies filled with citizens from many countries, so there has to be a credible international investigation into what happened.”
United Kingdom: 9
A pro-Russian separatist commander boasted about shooting down the Boeing 777 — on social media, Radar reported Thursday.
After the plane was shot down, Igor Girkin, the self-proclaimed defense minister of the Donetsk People’s Republic, relayed both a warning and a celebratory message through his VK.com account, Russia’s version of Facebook.
“We did warn you — do not fly in our sky,” he wrote.
Stay with Radar as details continue to emerge about the tragic loss of Flight MH17 . . .