Get Your Fresh Intelligence Daily

SUBMIT

'Deadliest Catch' Star Sig Hansen Pleads Guilty To Misdemeanor Assault

May. 24 2018, Published 12:04 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

Deadliest Catch star Sig Hansen has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge that he spat on an Uber driver last year in Seattle, The Seattle Times has reported.

The famed crab boat captain, 52, allegedly attacked the driver after a night of drinking; a judge who raised concerns about Hansen's alcohol use postponed sentencing until next month, according to the newspaper.

Judge Edward McKenna reportedly ordered Hansen to undergo a new alcohol evaluation.

Article continues below advertisement

Hansen said in a statement about his guilty plea, "This agreement allows met to close a key chapter in an unfortunate situation that got out of hand. It is a significant step toward putting this issue behind me and getting back to what's important—my family, friends and career."

As RadarOnline.com reported last year, police claimed Hansen spat on the driver and kicked his car, after learning he couldn’t pay in cash for a ride. Cops contended in the police report that the reality TV captain appeared “obviously intoxicated” when they arrived.

“He tried to walk inside his house. I told him he was not free to go and put out my arm to restrain him,” Officer Thomas Heller reportedly wrote in an incident report. “He then resisted our attempts and commands to place his hands behind his back. After a few seconds, he stopped resisting so strenuously, and we were able to handcuff him.”

Hansen has faced other shocking legal woes.

His estranged daughter, Melissa Eckstrom, 29, filed a civil suit against the Deadliest Catch captain last year, claiming that Hansen sexually abused her as a toddler.

Article continues below advertisement

“I have memories of my father hurting my genital region,” Eckstrom wrote in court papers obtained by Radar. “Memories of being in a room alone with my father and crying out in pain.”

Hansen vehemently denies the claims and previously told The Seattle Times, “This is nothing more than an old-fashioned shakedown. It’s a completely frivolous lawsuit full of lies that that my ex-wife made up to take away my daughter, and still uses to try to extort money from me. It’s blackmail.”

In April 2017, the Times reported that Eckstrom's civil lawsuit remains on hold.

Eckstrom has alleged in court papers that her estranged father and his attorneys “threatened and intimidated” her as she filed the lawsuit with the shocking molestation accusations.

Meanwhile, under Hansen's plea deal in the Uber driver case, a property destruction charge was dismissed.

Prosecutors also recommended the assault conviction be dropped and the case dismissed if Hansen complies with court conditions for a year.

We pay for juicy info! Do you have a story for RadarOnline.com? Email us at tips@radaronline.com, or call us at (866) ON-RADAR (667-2327) any time, day or night.

Advertisement

© Copyright 2021 Radar Media Group LLC. Radar and RadarOnline are registered trademarks. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.