Prosecutors say Josh Duggar doesn’t need an extra eight months to prepare for trial and wants him to face a judge ASAP.
According to court documents obtained by Radar, the government is asking the court to shut down Duggar’s attempt to push his trial date. As Radar previously reported. Duggar’s legal team recently pleaded with the court to push the start date of his criminal trial from July 6, 2020, to February 2022.
Duggar is facing one count of receiving child pornography and one count of possessing the material. The videos contained children as young as 5 being abused on camera.
n their response, the government says Duggar should not be allowed to push the case that far. They agree to a 3-month extension to allow the former TLC reality star and his team to review the evidence.
Prosecutors say they have no problem allowing Duggar time to hire an expert to comb through all the digital evidence in the case. In court documents, the government reveals the evidence in this case consists of two separate computers.
One of them contains the material that the case is centered around including the child pornography. The other device is Duggar’s cell phone. They are using text messages and digital photos found on his phone to place him “in proximity to the computer containing the Child Sexual Abuse Material”
Prosecutors claim two of Duggar’s lawyers have already viewed the material in question after asking for a private meeting to see it. They argue three months is more than enough time for Duggar to have an expert go over the evidence in the case.
In their motion, the government says the case should not be pushed for 8 months. Prosecutors say they have turned over all evidence to Duggar’s legal team.
The judge presiding over the case has yet to make a decision on the matter. At the moment, Duggar is out on bond and living with his parent’s church friends. He is prohibited from contacting the six children he shares with his wife Anna.