Rod Stewart has revealed a secret three-year battle with prostate cancer, RadarOnline.com has learned. The British music legend opened up about his health at a fundraising event for the Prostate Project and European Tour Foundation charity in Surrey, England over the weekend.
Stewart, 74, told the crowd he was first diagnosed with prostate cancer during a routine check-up in 2016.
"Two years ago, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer," he confessed. "No one knows this, but I thought this was about time I told everybody."
The “Maggie May” rocker went on to assure fans that he is now free of the disease.
"I’m in the clear now, simply because I caught it early," he said. "Guys, you’ve got to really go to the doctor."
As Radar previously revealed, Stewart had a cancer scare after doctors found a lump during a routine medical screening in 2016. Insiders admitted the singer was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate, but did not need surgery at the time.
“Rod told those closest to him he had prostate problems but, at the time, didn’t want to make a big fuss,” an insider originally told The Sun. “But this scare’s made him even more mindful of his health and now he’s fitter than ever. He feels very lucky.”
Prostate cancer is the fourth most commonly diagnosed type of cancer worldwide, according to the World Health Organization, with 1.3 million cases in 2018. Since his scare, Stewart has had regular check-ups to keep on top of his health, and encourages other men to do the same.
"Guys, you've got to really go to the doctor. Finger up the bum, no harm done."
“The Money Family regrets to announce that Eddie passed away peacefully early this morning,” a statement released on Friday, September 13 read. “It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our loving husband and father. We cannot imagine our world without him. We are grateful that he will live on forever through his music.”