Get Your Fresh Intelligence Daily

SUBMIT

U.S.-Born Top Al Qaeda Leader Killed In Yemen

//anwar_al awlaki

Sep. 30 2011, Updated 4:30 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

By Radar Staff

In what’s being described as a major blow to al Qaeda, Anwar al-Awlaki, a U.S.-born radical Islamic cleric said to be a greater danger than Osama bin Laden, has been killed in Yemen, RadarOnline.com is reporting.

“The terrorist Anwar al-Awlaki has been killed along with some of his companions,” the Yemeni defense ministry said in a statement Friday.

Al-Awlaki , who born in New Mexico and went to college in Colorado, was one of al Qaeda’s top leaders and was linked to the terrorist group’s attempted bombing of a U.S. passenger jet over Detroit on Christmas day, 2009.

Article continues below advertisement

Yemeni security officials told the AP that al-Awlaki, 40, was killed in an airstrike, which took place Friday morning in the country’s east.

Al-Arabiya television network cited local tribal sources as saying suspected U.S. drone aircraft fired two missiles at a convoy of vehicles believed to be carrying al-Awlaki and his guards.

The U.S. government has called al-Awlaki a “key leader” of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, an al Qaeda offshoot in Yemen. The U.S. has linked al-Awlaki to Nidal Malik Hasan, who is charged with killing 13 people in a shooting at a U.S. Army base in Fort Hood, Texas, in November 2009, and to a Nigerian student known as the “underwear bomber,” who tried to blow up a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit on Christmas Day, 2009.

U.S. officials considered al-Awlaki a most-wanted terror suspect, and added his name last year to the “kill or capture” list  -- making him a rare American addition to what is effectively a U.S. government hit-list.

Al-Awlaki was born in New Mexico in 1971, and spent several years living and working in the United States. He left the United States in 2002.

Al-Awlaki's father, who still lives in the U.S., filed a lawsuit against the federal government, claiming his son's civil rights were violated by the U.S. call for his killing.

A federal court dismissed Nasser al-Awlaki's suit on December 7, 2010, on the grounds that he had no legal standing to challenge the targeting of his son.

Story developing…

RELATED STORIES:

New 9/11 Tapes Released Days Before Tenth Anniversary Of Attacks

Rachel Uchitel Revisits Horrific 9/11 Memories

Craig Ferguson Jokes About White Powder Scare

Advertisement

© Copyright 2021 Radar Media Group LLC. Radar and RadarOnline are registered trademarks. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.