According to court documents obtained by Radar, prosecutors are asking the judge presiding over Petty’s criminal case to push the trial start date from June 29 to August 10.
At the moment, Petty is facing charges of failing to register as a sex offender when he moved from New York to California with Minaj. He was arrested and released on a $100,000 bond. Petty entered a plea of not guilty.
Petty is required to register as a sex offender where he lives due to a 1995 conviction for first-degree attempted rape. He was arrested when he was 16.
The alleged victim was also 16. In that case, prosecutors accused him of using a sharp object to force the girl to have sex. He served 4 years in prison.
Earlier this year, the alleged victim accused Minaj and Petty of having their friends threatened her to recant the accusations. She refused to cave and went public with the claims she was receiving threats.
The alleged victim said, "For Nicki Minaj and Kenneth Petty, tell your people to leave my family alone. Okay. The alleged victim said, "Don't call my fu-king family, don't call my brothers, don't call anybody. Leave me and my family the fu-k alone."
In newly filed documents, the government and Petty reached a deal to push the upcoming trial for a variety of reasons.
Petty says his lawyers need to go over 800 pages of reports, video and audio recordings, and other discovery. Further, he recently hired two new defense attorneys who are still catching up after taking over the case.
Minaj’s husband says if he is not granted a continuance would deny him a right to a fair trial. The trial is expected to last two to three days. A judge has yet to rule on the motion.
Minaj has stood by her man despite the criminal charges and previous conviction. She claims he is a changed man who takes care of her and their son.