Lamar Odom "is even more devastated" after learning his friend Jamie Sangouthai died as result of an infection as result of IV drug use.
"Lamar just found out the results," and is "taking it really bad," a source told US Weekly, following Los Angeles Coroner Ed Winter telling RadarOnline.com that "Sangouthai died from the bacterial skin infection necrotizing fasciitis, which is an infection that enters the body through intravenous drug usage.
"It was a very quick death and was caused by self-injections," Winter said of the 37-year-old's accidental death.
Odom, 35, "didn't know Jamie was suffering so much and using needles," the source told the magazine, adding that the former basketball star "is asking for space to reflect" on his friend's passing.
"He feels like it could have happened to him," the insider said. "This is a huge wake-up call for him ... it has really shaken him."
Khloe Kardashian has remained a "major support" source for her ex, as "she calls almost every hour to check in on him" daily, the source said.