Get Your Fresh Intelligence Daily

SUBMIT
Exclusive

Derek Chauvin Says Leak Of His Private Information To New York Times Should Be Reason To Overturn Murder Conviction

derek chauvin new york times plea deal prosecutors george floyd conviction
Source: Minnesota DOC/MEGA; CourtTV

Jun. 10 2021, Published 11:02 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

Derek Chauvin says the alleged leak of private information to the media by prosecutors should be reason enough to overturn his guilty verdict.

As Radar previously reported, Chauvin is set to be sentenced on June 25. He is facing 40 years in prison after being found guilty of murdering George Floyd while arresting him on May 25, 2020.

Article continues below advertisement

Chauvin says he did nothing wrong when he placed his knee of Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes. He says those who criticize him have it wrong. The disgraced former police officer is trying to do two things right now.

derek chauvin new york times plea deal prosecutors george floyd conviction
Source: Minnesota DOC/MEGA; CourtTV
Article continues below advertisement

His lawyers are preparing to argue their case during the sentencing proceedings. They are trying to get Chauvin off on only probation and credit for time served. Prosecutors scoffed at the suggestion and want Chauvin placed in prison for at least 30 years.

In court documents, Chauvin is also trying to have the entire murder conviction dismissed. He has several incidents where he believes the court ruled in error and caused him to lose the trial.

Article continues below advertisement

One of the biggest issues is the judge refusing to allow the trial to be moved to a different venue. He claims the publicity surrounding the incident in Hennepin County, Minnesota was too much. Chauvin doesn’t believe any potential juror could have been unbiased or come in without any prior knowledge of the situation.

derek chauvin new york times plea deal prosecutors george floyd conviction
Source: CourtTV
Article continues below advertisement

In his recent filing, Chauvin also brings up a New York Times article that was published in February. The story revealed for the first time a plea deal Chauvin had worked out with prosecutors. He agreed to plea to third-degree murder in the agreement.

However, the Department of Justice rejected the deal out of fear people would think it was too soft for Chauvin. Chauvin says this leak caused him harm.

Article continues below advertisement

The story came out the day before the trial started in both the New York Times but first appeared in a local newspaper. His legal team asked for a change of venue the following day but were denied.

In the motion, Chauvin’s team suggests the prosecutors leaked the information to the local news and then the New York Times picked it up with more information.

Article continues below advertisement

“On the eve of his trial, another leak occurred, resulting in an article in the New York Times, which contained considerably more detail regarding the settlement,” his lawyer explained.

derek chauvin new york times plea deal prosecutors george floyd conviction
Source: CourtTV
Article continues below advertisement

“It has been alleged that the State is the source of this leak., This matter is currently before the court,” he said.

The leak to the media is one of the many reasons Chauvin is using to try to convince a judge he didn't receive a fair trial. Prosecutors have objected to the suggestion and stand by the decisions during trial.

Advertisement

© Copyright 2021 Radar Media Group LLC. Radar and RadarOnline are registered trademarks. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.