"No one in his camp knew how they would be able to spin this and justify his remarks," a source told Radar on July 31. "They told him to make a public apology, stat!"
According to the source, the soon-to-be Access Hollywood star knew he had to eat humble pie and issue the apology.
"He is more than aware of how bad this could be for him," the source insisted.
In a statement to Us Weekly, the star, 45, said: “The comments I made were ignorant and insensitive, and I now have a deeper understanding of how hurtful they were. I have been and always will be an ardent supporter of the LGBTQ community, and I am going to use this opportunity to better educate myself. Moving forward I will be more informed and thoughtful.”
As Radar previously reported, the host claimed it was "dangerous" for parents to label their young children as transgender in a June interview.
“If you come from a place of love, you know, you really can’t go wrong. But at the same time, my God, if you’re 3 years old, and you’re saying you’re feeling a certain way or you think you’re a boy or girl whatever the case may be I just think it’s dangerous as a parent to make this determination then," the star said on the Candace Owens show.
Lopez was trashed on Twitter after a clip from the interview resurfaced this week.
"I’m disappointed to read @MarioLopezExtra comments about parents who support their child’s openness about their gender identity. As a social worker I am trained to identify abuse or neglect of a child. Healthy & safe dialogue w/ kids is neither abusive, neglectful or 'dangerous,'" Queer Eye star Karamo Brown wrote.
The scandal couldn't come at a worse time. Lopez takes over for fired Access Hollywood host Natalie Morales in September.