Get Your Fresh Intelligence Daily

SUBMIT

Alex Trebek Hints At Quitting 'Jeopardy!' After Secret Brain Surgery Hell

alex trebek quit jeopardy secret cancer health crisis
Source: Getty/Coleman-Rayner

Jul. 30 2018, Updated 9:20 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

After suffering a series of health related emergencies, Alex Trebek may finally be throwing in the towel on 'Jeopardy!'

The game show host, who has appeared in nearly 7,000 episodes of Jeopardy! since he began hosting the show in 1984, revealed to FOX News Channel's OBJECTified there's a "50/50 chance and a little less" that he'll continue with the show after his contract is up in 2020.

Trebek, 78, confidently told interviewer Harvey Levin "sure" when asked if he can imagine life without the hit game show.

Article continues below advertisement

And he already has two people in mind to replace him — Alex Faust or attorney Laura Coates.

"I mentioned to our producer not so long ago that the fellow that does play-by-play for the Los Angeles Kings — they should consider him," Trebek said or Faust.

He continued: "There is an attorney, Laura Coates," he said. "She's African-American and she appears on some of the cable news shows from time to time."

As Radar readers know, the Jeopardy! host had emergency surgery for blood clots on the brain in December 2017, caused by complications from hitting his head in a fall back in October 2017.

He was diagnosed with a subdural hematoma and underwent surgery to remove it December 16. The surgery was successful, and he was released from the hospital two days later.

Production was put on hold while he recovers, and is expected to resume taping later this month.

Article continues below advertisement

Trebek had previously suffered a heart attack in 2012 and underwent knee surgery in 2015.

Most recently, Radar cameras caught Trebek looking unrecognizable and worse for wear in shocking photos.

This isn't the first show shakeup for the series. Several years back, Radar reported exclusively that Sony execs considered former NBC anchor David Gregory as Trebeck's replacement before the host ended up deciding to renew his contract in 2016.

As fans know, Trebek had threatened to leave Jeopardy! in late October of 2014 after he was asked to re-tape a segment of Jeopardy! Kids following an incident with a contestant. His anger was reflected in an email exchange that was leaked during the massive hacking of Sony computers.

We pay for juicy info! Do you have a story for RadarOnline.com? Email us at tips@radaronline.com, or call us at (866) ON-RADAR (667-2327) any time, day or night.

Advertisement

© Copyright 2021 Radar Media Group LLC. Radar and RadarOnline are registered trademarks. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.