Your tip

Philip Seymour Hoffman Withdrew $1,200 From ATM Before Injecting Lethal ‘Brick’ Of Heroin

//philip seymour hoffman  atm withdraw drug overdose

Feb. 4 2014, Published 3:21 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

Mere hours before Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead with a hypodermic needle still in his arm on Sunday morning, the disheveled actor withdrew $1,200 from the D’Agostino grocery store near his West Village apartment, has learned.

Although there were no surveillance cameras at the ATM, a law enforcement source told The Post that bank records confirm the cash withdrawal.

As previously reported, detectives have sought surveillance tapes showing the actor withdrawing cash from a pair of Greenwich Village ATMs — as well as the person who sold the troubled actor the fatal batch of heroin.

Article continues below advertisement

The insider said that the focus of the manhunt revolves around 49 bags denoting the strains of heroin — “Ace of Spades” or “Ace of Hearts” — recovered at the death scene.

Hoffman’s death came as a shock to his fans, but was anything but surprising to those close to him.

An insider revealed to that Hoffman’s drug habit had escalated, and he was spending upwards of $10,000 per month on heroin and using the prescription drug, Oxycontin.


“He was what we call a heavy ‘red liner,’” the source told

“That means he liked to shoot heroin with a needle, but he also sniffed it daily. And he was majorly hooked on Oxy, too.”

Hoffman, 46, struggled with substance abuse in his early career and first went to rehab after graduating from New York University in 1989. He was clean and sober for years until relapsing in 2012 and spending a short stint in rehab the following year.

The source tells he was buying bundles and bricks at a time. "He just bought five bundles of dope last week,” the source claimed.

A bundle is 10 bags of heroin, and there are five bundles in a brick.

As reported on Sunday, a personal assistant reportedly found Hoffman in his Manhattan apartment and called 911.

“On Sunday, February 2, 2014, at approximately 1136 hours police responded to a 911 call for an aided male… upon arrival, officers located a 46-year-old male, unconscious and unresponsive, lying on the bathroom floor,” the NYPD said in a statement.



Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 RADAR ONLINE™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. RADAR ONLINE is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.