A close friend of Lost Boys actor Corey Haim has exclusively told RadarOnline.com that the actor was abusing prescription drugs in his final days. The friend said he feared the former child star would die from a prescription drugs overdose.
Haim was pronounced dead at St Joseph’s Hospital in Burbank at 2.15 a.m. Wednesday after becoming ill at his nearby apartment where he was staying with his mom Judy who is fighting breast cancer.
Los Angeles County Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter revealed that although no illegal drugs were found at the apartment, authorities did discover four prescription bottles of pills inside.
“He used to get my mail and run errands for me if I was sick and I’ll miss him a lot – I just hope his mom can overcome her cancer.”
Haim and his mom Judy were living in a modest two bedroom $1800 a month apartment at the Oakwood Apartment complex in Burbank, where nearby studios house young actors who have just arrived in Los Angeles.
News of Haim’s sudden death sent shockwaves around the large gated complex where many tenants described Haim as ‘quiet but friendly’.
One tenant told RadarOnline.com: “I just saw him fairly recently and he seemed to be in good spirits – I’m shocked that he has died.
An autopsy will be performed to determine the exact cause of death, but earlier Wednesday, police said it appears Haim died of an accidental drug overdose.
Haim, just 38 years old, was best known for starring in such movies as The Lost Boys, Murphy’s Romance, and Lucas.