BREAKING NEWS John Travolta Tells How He Tried To Save Jett

Sep. 23 2009, Published 5:34 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

John Travolta testified that he signed a liability release document without reading it - a document that is at the center of the trial of two defendants accused of trying to extort $25 million from the actor.

After a court recess, Travolta took the stand again in a Bahamian courtroom and recounted more details about the horrible day his beloved son Jett, 16, died.

Click here to read about Travolta arriving at the courthouse

Article continues below advertisement

The document is at the center of the case against paramedic Tarino Lightbourne and former Senator Pleasant Bridgewater, who are charged in the extortion plot against the 55-year-old actor. Travolta was threatened, according to police, that if he didn't pay $25 million the liability release document would be made public and it would appear that he turned down treatment for his critically ill son.

As previously reported, during Jett's fight for life John considered flying him to Florida for treatment and signing the liability release was a byproduct of that decision, not a refusal of treatment. Travolta quickly changed his mind and had his son taken to a local hospital.

Jon testifies, says Jett was autistic

Taking a deep breath, an emotional John took the stand again after the morning break and continued to talk about the moments before the ambulance arrived, saying he and one of the nannies who works for his family continued to give Jett CPR as wife Kelly held their son's head.

John and Kelly arrive at court

John testified that approximately 35 minutes passed from the time he entered the room where Jett was, to when the ambulance arrived.

Kelly Preston
Article continues below advertisement is in the courtroom and as John testified he looked nervous and emotional, twiddling his thumbs and shifting in his chair. Kelly looked distraught, watching as John revealed the details surrounding Jett's death.

See photos of Travolta heading to court

John then testified that Jett was put on a gurney and taken to an ambulance outside the condo and the nanny continued to do compressions as they were taking him out.

Travolta said he spoke to the ambulance driver and was given a liability release from him, which he signed. He said he did not read the document because time was of the essence.

John pointed out his signature to the judge and jury.

Earlier in his testimony Travolta revealed the details of his son's seizures and for the first time publicly acknowledged that Jett was autistic.

"My son was autistic and suffered from seizure disorder. Every five to 10 days he suffered seizures which lasted 45 seconds to a minute," Travolta testified before a jury of six women and three men.



Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2023 Radar Media Group LLC. RADAR and RADARONLINE are registered trademarks. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.