Heart Attack, Torture & Regret: Whitey Bulger’s Final Years Exposed In Prison Letters

James “Whitey” Bulger was found dead just hours after he was transferred to a West Virginia federal prison. can exclusively expose prison letters that reveal the notorious mobster’s final years were hell.

In June 2018, Bulger claimed prison guards tortured him to death before a local hospital revived him.

“A form of torture called sleep deprivation,” he wrote in a letter obtained by The National ENQUIRER. “No one could talk to me nor I to anyone — for the first four months. I was strip-searched five times a day.”

Article continues below advertisement

He accused the guards of triggering his 2012 heart attack.

“I was rushed 40 miles to Boston Hospital, almost died,” he wrote. “Had a team of cardiologists bring me back.”

He claimed he was a “picture of health” when he entered prison, but that all changed.

“I fell out of bed 14 times onto concrete floor, hurt left hip each time,” he said.

Back in 2015, three teenagers received a prison letter from the mobster when they reached out to him for a school project.

“My life was wasted and spent foolishly, brought shame and suffering on my parents and siblings,” he wrote. “I know only one thing for sure — if you want to make crime pay — ‘Go to Law School.’”

One of the students claimed the letter seemed “very apologetic.”

“Don’t waste your time on such as I — we are society’s lower, best forgotten, not looked to for advice on ‘Leadership,’” the letter continued. “I’m a 9th grade dropout from school and took the wrong wrong.”

Article continues below advertisement

But Bulger didn’t seem apologetic before his November 2013 sentencing.

“The trial was a neck-tie party and a stacked deck from day one,” Bulger complained in a letter obtained by “Have been in isolation for 2 years here — 24 hours in a cell Tues and Thurs and 23 hrs in a cell other 5 days — now that trial is over lots of time to read and think.”

In a letter dated August 30, 2013, he complained that federal agents didn’t treat him or his gal pal Catherine Greig fairly after they were captured in 2011 after over 16 years on the run.

Whitey Bulger

Bulger claimed he offered to pled guilty of all charges to set her free, but he insisted authorities turned him down and held her on “no bail in an isolation cell 23 hours per day for 1 year.”

She ended up pleading guilty and was sentenced to eight years in prison in June.

Bulger then slammed rats, who he alleged in the letters, “told the Gov what it wanted to hear and they were rewarded.”

As reported, Bulger was found dead hours after he was transferred to a West Virginia federal prison.

Article continues below advertisement

A spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Justice’ Federal Bureau of Prisons told that the 89-year-old was discovered “unresponsive” at 8:20 am this morning.

“Life-saving measures were initiated immediately by responding staff,” the spokesperson said. “Mr. Bulger was subsequently pronounced dead by the Preston County Medical Examiner.”

He was sentenced in November 2013 to two life terms plus for the murder of 11 people, racketeering, extortion, money laundering, drug dealing and weapons possession.

Stay with for more on the story.

We pay for juicy info! Do you have a story for Email us at, or call us at (866) ON-RADAR (667-2327) any time, day or night.



Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2023 Radar Media Group LLC. RADAR and RADARONLINE are registered trademarks. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.