Women alleging they too were sexually victimized by Bill Cosby are hopeful Judge Steven O’Neill will let their voice be heard during Cosby’s final court appearance later this month, according to famed women’s rights attorney Gloria Allred, who spoke to RadarOnline.com exclusively Wednesday.
“I represent 33 accusers of Bill Cosby and a number of them want to be able to speak at the victim impact hearing,” Allred told Radar. “They feel it’s very important to them that the court hears what they allege happened and the impact it’s had on their lives, emotionally, physically and financially.”
Gloria Allred represents three of the five women who testified against Cosby at the retrial along with the lone witness who spoke at the original trial last year.
“They would like to be able to give their victim impact statements even though they are not the victim in this particular case, Andrea Constand, for who criminal charges were filed.”
Radar broke the news Tuesday that prosecutors in the Bill Cosby assault trial filed a motion asking the court to permit additional women speak out at his two-day sentencing hearing scheduled for Sept. 24 and 25.
Though Judge O’Neill hasn’t ruled on the motion that would allow the other accusers to speak out, prominent defense attorney A. Charles Peruto Jr. tells Radar it doesn’t seem probable. “To look overly fair and protect the record, the judge may not permit this.” Peruto said. “Cosby’s defense attorney would be permitted to cross examine them, which would take so long and become a trial within a trial.”
Despite the fact that several of Allred’s clients did not file criminal charges against the comedian, she hopes the hearing later this month could give her clients and other accusers the chance to be heard in court. “In most cases, no charges ever could be filed because the statute of limitations has past,” Allred told Radar. “It’s too late in other words – even if a prosecutor believes he or she could prove guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.”
“I haven’t quantified how many would testify,” Allred stated, referring to the 33 Bill Cosby victims she represents. “I had a number contact me – we’ve been waiting to find out who and how many will be permitted to be heard and they feel it’s very important.”
Allred noted despite the sentencing approaching, she’s preparing to see the Cos in a Santa Monica courtroom in the coming months! “I still have a civil case pending case on behalf of Judy Huth in Santa Monica who alleges she was 15-years-old when she was sexually victimized by Bill Cosby at the Playboy Mansion,” she continued. “The court and counsel are awaiting the outcome and resolution of the criminal case before we can proceed. We have court dates to go back Nov. 2.”
“I’ll definitely be there,” Allred told Radar. “I certainly think that Mr. Cosby should be incarcerated. I would like to see the court bailiffs take him into custody and commit him to a term in state prison!”
However, Allred noted she doesn’t think the Cos will get slapped with the maximum thirty-year sentence, but she noted “I would like to see him taken into custody. I think that’s long overdue.”
We pay for juicy info! Do you have a story for RadarOnline.com? Email us at email@example.com, or call us at (866) ON-RADAR (667-2327) any time, day or night.