Your tip

Police Officer Confirmed Dead After Car Attack, Stabbing at U.S. Capitol

capitol officer dead pp
Source: US Capitol Police ; CNN

Apr. 2 2021, Updated 5:35 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

Capitol Hill Police Department has just confirmed the death of one of the officers involved in Friday's attack at the United States Capitol, during which a vehicle rammed through a security checkpoint and struck two officers. The driver then exited the vehicle and stabbed one of the officers, presumably the one who died, before being shot and killed by USCP.

Article continues below advertisement

"We are devastated to share the sad news that one of our officers involved in this afternoon's incident passed away," USCP said in its most recent statement, adding that the department was "working to notify the officer's next of kin before it releases additional information."

officer william f_evans gallery pic
Source: US Capitol Police

Officer William.F. Evans

Article continues below advertisement
Source: U.S. Capitol Police/Twitter
Article continues below advertisement

It was just after 1 p.m. local time when a man driving a blue sedan torpedoed his car into the Capitol's North Barricade, hitting two USCP officers. Officials immediately locked down the Capitol Campus, as KTLA reported that staff members received a mass text message urging them to stay away from windows and doors.

Capitol Hill Forced On Lockdown After One Person Shot, Two Officers Injured

Article continues below advertisement

According to law enforcement, the man driving the sedan then "exited the vehicle with a knife and ran toward our officers." Capitol Police Acting Chief Yogananda Pittman told reporters that's when the suspect stabbed one of the officers, which USCP said prompted at least one of their own to pull out their gun and shoot the man.

Article continues below advertisement

One of the injured officers was immediately transported to the hospital via a USCP cruiser; the other was transported by DC Fire and EMS, as was the suspect, who was pronounced dead at the hospital approximately 30 minutes after the attack. It is not yet known the condition in which the other officer remains.

Minneapolis Cop Blasts Derek Chauvin for Using 'Totally Unnecessary' Force on George Floyd

Article continues below advertisement

USCP says an investigation is ongoing and that officials will provide more information as soon as they can, though it is confirmed that President Joe Biden had left the White House prior to the incident.

Friday's attack marks the second line-of-duty death this year for the department, which is still grappling with the aftermath of the Jan. 6 insurrection.



Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 RADAR ONLINE™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. RADAR ONLINE is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.