Mel Gibson can splash around in Costa Rica all he wants, but California law looms overhead — the actor could be staring down the barrel at the costliest divorce in Hollywood history.
Gibson, in splitting from wife of 28 years Robyn Moore, could dwarf the current joint settlement records of $150 million paid out by Neil Diamond and Michael Jordan to their ex-wives.
Robyn, who cited irreconcilable differences in papers filed yesterday, is entitled to half of Mel’s massive fortune, reportedly in the neighborhood of $900 million. The couple has no prenuptial agreement.
Assets on the chopping block include a $30 million church in Malibu and a $5 million island in Fiji.
Celeb divorce attorney Laura Wasser has been tapped by Robyn, previously repping stars like Britney Spears, Angelina Jolie and Keifer Sutherland.
Six of the Gibson’s seven children are adults, leaving 10-year-old Tom’s custody to be decided in court. Robyn is also requesting child support, alimony and compensation for legal fess.
Mel Gibson will be represented by attorney Robert Kaufman, whose previous clients include Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon.
Here are the current costliest divorces, per Fortune magazine.
1. Neil Diamond and Marcia Murphey - $150 million
2. Michael and Juanita Jordan - $150 million
3. Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving - $100 million
4. Harrison Ford and Melissa Mathison - $85 million
5. Kevin Costner and Cindy Silva - $80 million
6. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills - $60 million
7. James Cameron and Linda Hamilton - $50 million
8. Michael and Diandra Douglas - $45 million
9. Lionel and Diane Richie - $20 million
10. Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall - $15 million