Your tip

Copperfield Loses Stage Hand

Embedded Image

Dec. 19 2008, Published 2:27 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

An assistant of master magician David Copperfield was rushed to the hospital after a stunt went wrong at a routine performance this Wednesday.

During the Las Vegas show, An Intimate Evening of Grand Illusion, a stagehand's arm apparently got caught in the propellers while Copperfield was completing his "fan illusion," an act where Copperfield moves through a fan and becomes smoke.

"Just prior to David himself walking through the fan, the assistant was accidentally pulled into the vortex of the moving fan blades, causing injury to his arm and face," a rep commented.

Article continues below advertisement

"This is a trick David has done over 3,000 times," exec producer Chris Kenner says. "This was a freak accident." The show, of course, did not go on.

The assistant, Brandon, required reconstructive surgery to his arm and face.

"He is recovering," Kenner says. "People are always saying that it's magic and it isn't dangerous. This goes to show you that it is."

And apparently even Mr. Copperfield was magically in the hospital room when Brandon woke from the operation.

Breaking News

No further shows have been postponed. Copperfield will not alter the trick.



Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 RADAR ONLINE™️. A DIVISION OF EMPIRE MEDIA GROUP INC. RADAR ONLINE is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.