LIGHTS, CAMERA, HEADLINES Gibson There's no way Apocalypto wouldn't be controversial. Mayan groups are upset about its depiction of their ancient culture and critics are divided: Is Mel Gibson's latest foreign-language history lesson a bloody mess or a gripping yarn with far-reaching political ramifications?
But one thing many critics—or their editors—agree on is how to frame the film using headline puns. Here are three emerging schools of Apocalypto headlines:
• "Apocalypto: The Passion of Mel"—Scott Foundas, LA Weekly
• "The Passion of the Maya"—A.O. Scott, New York Times
• "Passion of the Slice"—Lou Lumenick, New York Post
• ""—Anders Wright, San Diego City Beat
• "'Apocalypto': Then and Now"—Craig Detweiler, Beliefnet.com
• "Skip into Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto' now!"—by Jon E. Drucker, Jewishjournal.com
• "Apocalypt-Ow! Mel's Messy Mayan Movie"—by Rex Reed, New York Observer
- Johnny Depp's Longtime Pal, Legendary Rock N' Roll Guitarist Jeff Beck Dead At 78
- Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Tell-All Netflix Series Delayed To 2023 After Attacks On ‘The Crown’
- Dianne Feinstein Refuses To Retire Before Her Senate Term Ends In 2024 Despite Colleagues Arguing She Is 'Mentally Unfit To Serve'