Your burst of end-of-the-day need-to-know:
• President Bush, congressional leaders, and the two presidential candidates sat together in the same room and announced that they had come to agreement on a plan for you to cover the bad bets made by the massively wealthy. Then Barack Obama and House Minority Leader John Boehner demonstrated the spirit of bipartisanship by sneaking out to the Rose Garden for a cigarette.
• Guess what? We won Iraq! Time to bring everybody home! Thanks, President Palin! As she puts it so well: "with the ... the freedoms, the democracy, the ... the women's rights, the tolerance, they hate what it is that we represent and our allies, too, and our friends, what they represent." Amen, sister!
• But Palin loves the good community of New York who are rebuilding so bravely in the wake of some terrible destruction!
• How much do you love print, news consumers? The Los Angeles Times has just 415 paid subscriptions beyond Los Angeles County.
• When you include cell numbers—people with no landlines—in election polling, you get slightly more Obama, less McCain.
• That Obama Rolling Stone cover? Did not sell particularly well.
• Dear Gentiles, Rosh Hashanah is not a person.
• Clay Aiken talks about his love of gayness! Wow he is so much more articulate than Sarah Palin.