AFTERMATH Heath Upon hearing of the death of their son, actor Heath Ledger's family released a statement on Australian television: "We, Heath's family, confirm the very tragic, untimely and accidental passing of our dearly loved son, brother and doting father of Matilda," said Heath's father, Kim Ledger. An initial autopsy has proved inconclusive, and Ledger's family maintains that his death was not a suicide.
No note was found on the scene and the prescription drugs in Ledger's apartment suggest an accidental overdose. TMZ is reporting that Ledger had been suffering from pneumonia, perhaps the reason for the arsenal of pills discovered near his body by police. The sleeping pill Ambien was found in the apartment, as was the antidepressant Zoloft and the antianxiety drug Xanax. The NY Post is also reporting that a bottle of Donormyl, an antihistamine used as a sleep aid, and a packet of the drug Zopiclone, for insomnia, were found on the star's nightstand. ABC News says police also found a bottle of Diazepam (Valium) prescribed in Ledger's name.