PUN GUY Obama Among the many gifts of Senator Barack Obama—charisma of a Kennedy, poise of a born leader, Q ratings that seem to rise like hydrogen—is his name. Barack Obama's name is irresistible to pun-happy editors looking for just the right headline.
So many syllables! Ba-rack O-ba-ma. It's almost a little poem. And with such strong consonant sounds, his name is perfect for rhyming.
Herewith, a look at the headline writers' art:
• Hil better watch her Barack!, the New York Daily News, October 23, 2006
• Barack to the Future, Investor's Business Daily, October 25, 2006.
• Barack Attack, The Democratic Daily, October 19, 2006
• Obama mania visits Marin, Marin Independent Journal, October 26, 2006
• Barack Obama in a hard place, the Daily Free Press, October 25, 2006
• Hillary stuck between Barack and a hard place, NewsByUs, October 24, 2006
• Of course, Radar beat those last two publications to the punch with our October 23 post, Between Barack And A Hard Place.