The critics may not have been on board for G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra but movie fans certainly were. The Channing Tatum flick is set to bring in an estimated $56.2 million at the North American box office this weekend. Worldwide, the take will be just over $100 million.
Meryl Streep and Amy Adams cooked up a winner in Julie & Julia. The Nora Ephron-written and directed comedy is expected to do $20.1 million in ticket sales for the three days.
Here’s the top 10 earners for August 7 to August 9:
* 1. GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra: $56.2m
* 2. Julie & Julia: $20.1m
* 3. G-Force: $9.8m
* 4. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: $8.8m
* 5. Funny People: $7.9m
* 6. The Ugly Truth: $7m
* 7. A Perfect Getaway: $5.8m
* 8. Aliens in the Attic: $4m
* 9. 500 Days of Summer: $3.73m
* 10. Orphan: $3.73m