Princess Charlene has entered a treatment facility following an intervention led by her husband, Prince Albert.
Monaco's sovereign prince, 63, revealed the news less than two weeks after his 43-year-old wife returned to Monaco after spending the last six months in South Africa, where she had been "grounded" – as she previously put it – since early May due to an ENT infection that required a number of corrective surgeries.
While Albert did not specify what exactly landed the princess in a facility "outside of Monaco" that is "elsewhere in Europe," he told People that her current state was the result "of several factors which are private matters." He added that "she was clearly exhausted, physically and emotionally. She was overwhelmed and couldn't face official duties, life in general or even family life."
"Obviously there were consequences of her different surgeries and the procedures she underwent in the last few months," he went on. "That certainly was a factor, but at this point I prefer not to comment further. I can say she was suffering incredible fatigue. She hadn't slept well in a number of days and she wasn't eating at all well. She has lost a lot of weight, which made her vulnerable to other potential ailments. A cold or the flu or God help us, COVID."
He dismissed the "rumors" that Charlene's time away was in any way related to the coronavirus, cancer, marital woes or even plastic surgery. No "facial work at all," he insisted.
Albert said that "it became pretty evident that she was unwell," so he gathered Charlene's worried family members – including "her brothers and a sister-in-law" – and "sat her down" for an intervention last Sunday.
"She had already made her decision, and we only wanted her to confirm it in front of us. She wanted this. She already knew the best thing to do was to go and have a rest and have a real medically framed treatment. And not in Monaco. For privacy reasons, it would have to be someplace outside of Monaco," he said, adding that the process "went very well."
"She was very calm and very understanding. She realized herself that she needed help. You can't force anyone to understand that they need treatment, they have to accept that themselves," he explained, noting that the family "wanted to tell her that we love her so much, and that we were there for her, and that the most important aspect for her is her health. That she shouldn't worry about anything else. That we all love her, that her children love her, and that we only want the best for her."
Albert and Charlene share 6-year-old twins Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques.
He did not specify how long his wife would be away; however, he "begged" the public and the media to respect their "privacy" and "leave my family alone for the coming weeks."
Albert added that "Charlene never asked to have these problems."