BREAKING NEWS

Dodgers “Share Disappointment” After Manny Ramirez’s Drug-Related Suspension

May 7 2009, Published 7:10 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

The Los Angeles Dodgers released a statement on Thursday afternoon responding to the suspension regarding star Manny Ramirez. Ramirez was yanked from the team for 50 games—costing him about $7.7 million of his $25 million contract—after a drug test earlier this week showed banned substances in his system.

CEO Jamie McCourt responded to statements from Major League Baseball and Manny Ramirez on Thursday afternoon. “We share the disappointment felt by our fans, our players, and every member of our organization,” McCourt said. “We support the policies of Major League Baseball, and we will welcome Manny back upon his return.”

Article continues below advertisement

Ramirez released his own statement this morning through the Major League Baseball Association. “ Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue," he said. "He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was okay to give me. Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.”

Team representatives will not comment further until a press conference, which will be held at Dodger Stadium on Thursday at 4:30 p.m.

(Photo: Zuma Press)

Advertisement

DAILY. BREAKING. CELEBRITY NEWS. ALL FREE.

© Copyright 2022 Radar Media Group LLC. RADAR and RADARONLINE are registered trademarks. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.