Despite rampant rumors over who will fill the hot seats left empty by former American Idol judges Simon Cowell and Ellen DeGeneres, Fox execs say that no decisions have been made yet.
Both Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler are rumored to be taking over the coveted reality TV jobs, but the network’s chairman Peter Rice and president Kevin Reilly announced at the TCA press conference on Monday that “lots of the speculation has been wildly inaccurate.”
As for DeGeneres’ sudden departure after just one year on the show, the Fox bosses say they tried to persuade to her to stay but, “She didn’t feel like the show was a good fit.”
Fox are being even more secretive when asked about the future of two-year veteran Kara DioGuardi. “We will not get into the speculation,” they responded, nor would they confirm or deny whether Randy Jackson will stay or go.
“We feel confident we can come up with a panel that doesn’t include Ellen,” they said coyly, adding that the only thing for certain was that no one has signed a deal yet to join Idol who wasn’t on the show last year.
“We will continue the concept of the show,” said Rice and Reilly, who aren’t concerned about Cowell’s new reality show The X Factor reducing their ratings as it will air at a different time.
“We would hope to celebrate our 20-year Idol anniversary in 10 more years, and hope the show continues,” they announced confidently.
Auditions start in mid-September for the next season, by which time the panel of judges will have been solidified.