1. After fans noticed Red Hot Chili Peppers' bassist Flea's instrument wasn't plugged in, he admitted in an open letter, ""When we were asked by the NFL and Bruno [Mars] to play our song 'Give It Away' at the Super Bowl, it was made clear to us that the vocals would be live, but the bass, drums and guitar would be prerecorded. I understand the NFL's stance on this, given they only have a few minutes to set up the stage, there a zillion things that could go wrong and ruin the sound for the folks watching in the stadium and the T.V. viewers."
2. The Chili Peppers were in good company, however. When the Beatles performed on Thank Your Lucky Stars in 1963, their guitars were not plugged in and there were no mics visible on stage.
3. So not rock: Katy Perry was accused of faking a recorder performance during a 2011 concert, when her enthusiastic playing didn't seem to match up with the track and the music continued after she put the recorder down. She laughed the incident off immediately, telling the crowd, "So I lied. I can't play the flute."
You Tube/Getty Images
4. When Lady Gaga puked onstage four times in Barcelona in 2012, her vocals continued unaffected, leading some to claim she was lip-synching. She denies she ever has or ever will.
You Tube/Getty Images
5. In another similar incident, Gaga fell during an Atlanta performance of "Poker Face," but her vocals seemed to continue just fine.
6. Jay Z planned to film a six-hour gallery performance of "Picasso Baby" for the song's video, but eyewitnesses later said he lip-synched several sections.
7. At the 2007 BET Awards, many viewers noticed that when 50 Cent took his mic away from his mouth to take off his jacket, the vocals continued at the same volume.
8. Nicki Minaj denied she lip synched at the 2010 BET Awards after fans raised accusations online. "U could hear me in the auditorium but apparently not in TV land," she tweeted. "Shout out to the sound guy."
9. When Nirvana performed on the U.K.'s Top of the Pops in 1991, their instruments were not plugged in and they made no effort to hide the fact, wildly swinging them around their heads and slapping guitar strings with their bare hands in a mockery of the show's policy at the time of pre-recording performances.
10. On the same show, The Smiths frontman Morrisey sang into a fern instead of a microphone for his prerecorded performance.
11. In 1995, Oasis launched a protest of their own on Top of the Pops when lead singer Liam Gallagher took up his brother Noel's guitar and had the musician mouth the words to "Roll With It."
12. Muse pulled a similar stunt on Italian TV show Quelli che il Calcio, when frontman Matthew Bellamy hopped behind the drums to mime the pre-recorded track.
13. Steve Augeri of Journey was suspected of lip-synching for many years, a claim the band never confirmed or denied. He left the band in mid-2006 with an acute throat infection.
14. At the 2009 Super Bowl, Faith Hill performed to a pre-recorded track at the request of show producer Rickey Minor. "There's too many variables to go live," he insisted.
15. Eminem was accused of pulling an Ashlee Simpson after his performance on SNL in late 2013. He insisted he did not li psych, but admitted he used a vocal track under his live vocals.
16. When Justin Bieber puked onstage during a concert in 2012, the vocals continued just fine, leading some to claim he was lip synching.