Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said Wednesday his office will to continue seek the death penalty against convicted killer Jodi Arias with a second jury, after the first could not decide her fate after she was found guilty of first-degree murder last month.
“At this point,” Montgomery said at a news conference in Arizona, “we are still preparing to move forward to retry the penalty phase.”
As we previously reported, a new jury will be selected for the penalty phase, with a retrial date set for July 18; if the second panel deadlocks, Judge Sherry Stephens will then issue Arias a sentence of life in prison, or 25 years with the eligibility of parole. (The death penalty would not be an option in that scenario.)
After a months-long trial that captivated the country’s attention with its’ salacious details of sex, obsession and violence, the 32-year-old waitress-photographer was convicted May 8 in the brutal 2008 murder of her former lover, Travis Alexander.
Stay with RadarOnline.com for more news on Jodi Arias.