Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, kept a smile on her face Friday while visiting a Mosque during a tour of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, despite having just learned a French gossip magazine planned to publish topless photos of her on its cover.
The UK’s Daily Mail reports Kate and Prince William were informed of the scandal as they ate breakfast shortly before they left to visit the Mosque. Sources say the Royal family is “saddened and angry” by the news.
The photos were allegedly snapped while the royal couple were on vacation in Luberon, France last week.
The pair were staying at the Château d’Autet, the private home of the Queen’s nephew Viscount Linley, before leaving for their Diamond Jubilee tour together through Southeast Asian and the South Pacific.
The couple, who obviously did not suspect a lurking paparazzo, was sunning themselves on the balcony and swimming in the pool of the estate when the intrusive photos were taken.
The French magazine, called Closer, has already posted the cover of a topless Kate for its latest issue on its website, even though the magazine will not be released until Saturday.
It features shots of the royal couple under the headline “OH MY GOD – the photos that will go around the world”.
A spokesperson at St. James Palace Friday invoked the memory of Princess Diana as it issued a statement condemning the publication of the photos:
“Their Royal Highnesses have been hugely saddened to learn that a French publication and a photographer have invaded their privacy in such a grotesque and totally unjustifiable manner.
“The incident is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales, and all the more upsetting to The Duke and Duchess for being so.
“Their Royal Highnesses had every expectation of privacy in the remote house. It is unthinkable that anyone should take such photographs, let alone publish them.
“Officials acting on behalf of Their Royal Highnesses are consulting with lawyers to consider what options may be available to The Duke and Duchess.”
As RadarOnline.com was first to report, the British Royal family is considering their legal options over the publication of the topless photos.
“A little more than a year after their marriage, the royal couple was offered a romantic getaway, far from the protocol and etiquette in their very own garden of Eden.
“Discover the incredible pictures of the future Queen of England as you’ve never seen her before… and as you will never see her again!”
If legal action where to be taken it would be a landmark move for the Royal family as they have no history of suing the press, despite many occasions where they have been severely tested, but a source close to law firm, Harbottle & Lewis, tells Radar they have been consulted regarding various options, including an invasion of privacy lawsuit and taking an injunction out against the magazine.
“These photos are clearly a blatant invasion of privacy,” the source says. “They are obviously taken with a very long lens and capture Kate and her husband relaxing, on private property, where they had every expectation of complete privacy.
“This is not the same scenario as Prince Harry who basically set himself up for the fall. Kate has done nothing wrong and it is disgusting that a magazine, which is published in a country with some of the strictest privacy laws in the world, is allowed to go ahead and publish this rubbish.
“It doesn’t go without note that this is the country where William’s mother was chased to her death by overzealous photographers, it seems inconceivable they should be allowed to get away with this.”
Kate Middleton Gives Hopeful Speech In Malaysia: ‘Lives Can Be Transformed’
Singapore Surprise: Kate Middleton Toasts With Water, Prince William Says He’d Like 2 Kids
Pretty In Pink! Kate Middleton Shines In Singapore
Katie Couric Labels Dream Guest Kate Middleton ‘Too Thin’