German police said a number of key factors have led them to determine the tale of Forest Boy — the 17-year-old who claims he spent five years living in the Czechoslovakian wilderness — is false.
As we previously reported, the boy — who is believed to be 17 years old and answers to the name “Ray” — sprouted up at Berlin City Hall in Germany September 5, claiming he’d surfaced from the woods (on the Czechoslovakian side of the Ore mountains) after camping out there for five years with his father, who recently died.
The blond-haired, blue-eyed lad claims his late father, who he identified as “Ryan,” took him to live in the woods following the auto accident death of his mother, Doreen. He said that following his dad’s death, he began his trek toward civilization. When he finally arrived at city hall, he reportedly told officials: “I’m alone in the world. I don’t know who I am. Please help me.”
Since then, however, investigators have become increasingly skeptical, as many red flags have sprouted regarding the boy’s story — and decisions — since turning himself in to authorities.
Among the inconsistencies German police have cited regarding the Forest Boy:
* There are no records in any of Germany’s 16 states for an auto accident involving a person named Doreen, nor have they found the grave where he said he buried his father;
* The tent he brought to city hall had none of the wear and tear it would have if he’d been camping out for 5 years;
* Doctors said the boy — who refuses to give any details about his identity, aside from his name and birthday, claiming he has no memory — shows no signs of amnesia or mental problems;
* The boy declined to pose for a picture for Interpol, who were trying to track down his next-of-kin;
* The boy refused to supply a DNA sample after a Swiss couple contacted officials claiming they were his grandparents.
The boy, who tells German authorities he wants to start a new life, is currently in the care of social workers. We’ll have more on this story as info comes along.