Jay Leno appears to be determined to get the last laugh, despite his Emmy snub.
As RadarOnline.com previously reported, in yet more fallout from the great late night shake-up of 2010, ex-Tonight Show host Conan O’Brien received an Emmy nomination Thursday morning for his work on the NBC institution, while Leno, his replacement, did not.
Watch the clip here on RadarOnline.com
Hours after the nominations were announced, Leno got the chance to vent a little about the snub in his monologue Thursday night, saying: “The big show business news is that the Emmy nominations were announced today … the good news: The Tonight Show got four nominations! The bad news: I didn’t get one of them!
“That’s always been my motto — remember there’s no ‘me’ in Emmy,” Leno said.
Leno had at least one thing to crow about Thursday: also left in the Emmy cold was longtime late night rival David Letterman, who didn’t receive any nominations either.
“I guess Letterman and I will be watching the Emmys at Oprah’s house this year,” Leno said in reference to the Super Bowl commercial he filmed earlier this year with Letterman and Oprah Winfrey. “Sit there eating corn chips and watch the show.”
The Peacock network had submitted The Tonight Show with Jay Leno for Emmy consideration, while O’Brien entered the show under his tenure on his own; both were eligible to be nominated. Leno returned to The Tonight Show March 1 after NBC, impatient with bad ratings, reached a deal with O’Brien to part ways, paving the way for Leno to reclaim the chair he’d occupied for 17 years prior to stepping down in the summer of 2009.
O’Brien’s competition in the outstanding comedy, music or variety series includes The Colbert Report, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Real Time with Bill Maher, and Saturday Night Live. The Emmy-nominated O’Brien returns to the thick of things with a late night show on TBS this fall.
The 62nd Emmy Awards will be broadcast live on NBC on August 29.