Conan O’Brien is returning to late night TV—and he’s not going to Fox, RadarOnline.com has learned.
The funnyman has struck a deal with TBS, which already airs a weeknight late show with George Lopez. Lopez Tonight will move to midnight, and Conan’s new show will air at 11 p.m.
On twitter Conan joked “The good news: I will be doing a show on TBS starting in November! The bad news: I’ll be playing Rudy on the all new Cosby Show.”
Monday’s surprise announcement hit the same day O’Brien starts a two-month, nationwide comedy tour in Eugene, Oregon.
Although speculation was that Conan was headed to Fox, TBS says they began serious conversations last week.
“In three months, I’ve gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theaters, and now I’m headed to basic cable,” O’Brien said in a tongue-in-cheek-toned statement. “My plan is working perfectly.”
O’Brien was taken off left NBC’s The Tonight Show in January, after hosting for just eight months. The ratings for the Tonight Show had plunged to the lowest in years.
And Jay Leno’s primetime ratings were hurting local newscasts, so Jay was asked to return to the Tonight Show, thus sending O’Brien packing with a reported $32.5 million settlement.
Conan returns to late night TV in November.